Dentist Phobia

What is it about a dental appointment that makes me so anxious? After the event, nothing at all. 

I had a check-up today. No treatment needed. Next check-up in 6 months, so I can relax till November.

The problem is in the anticipation, especially in the waiting room. My fear started in childhood with a dentist who told me that my tongue was too big for my mouth and told my mother that I had "abnormal tongue behaviour" which in his opinion was incurable beyond the age of 12. I was 12 then. I am now very far beyond the age of 12.

I still don't know what he meant, but then he never explained anything. That was part of my problem with him, along with that dreadful noisy drill.

My current dentist is kind, efficient, swift and explains what he is planning to do before he does it. So I really don't need to be scared, even though my teeth are far from perfect and don't merit this description:
"Your teeth are like a flock of ewes, that have come up from the washing: all of them bear twins, and not one of them is bereaved." (Song of Solomon 6:6, NRSV).
What a fantastic picture for a cartoonist! My teeth are at least useful. I'm grateful that I can chew and that they are still all my own.

Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Comments

  1. Ah, the School Dentist of yore - no wonder entire generations were traumatised. (Would you really want your teeth to bear twins, by the way? I have a couple that are more or less double-banked and a right nuisance it is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very belated reply. I hadn't caught on to the importance and courtesy of replying to comments on the blog back in May 2009. I was very new to it. No I wouldn't want my teeth to bear twins. I didn't experience a school dentist by the way.

      Delete

Post a Comment