Does @trustTomi on Twitter have secret information? Is that why she composed her fun limerick? Probably not, but I like it, so here it is:
There was once a church: C of E.If the members of CNC are stumped and remembering the candidate doesn't have to be a bishop yet, perhaps they might consider an unlikely candidate. How about Rowan Atkinson? This would ensure:
That sought it's next AB of C.
To carry the baton, and put the big hat on.
The bookies are stumped, so are we.
- Continuity of tradition - a Rowan succeeded by a Rowan.
- He's popular and understood even by people who don't understand English - look at his performance playing with the orchestra in the Olympics 2012 opening ceremony.
- He isn't Welsh or Scottish. Atkinson is an English surname - son of Atkin (nickname of Adam - a down-to-earth name)
- He is a master of dramatic timing and also of saying nothing at all when miming works better.
- He's short and the current incumbent is tall, so that would represent change.
I'm not the first to think of Rowan Atkinson in this role and won't be the last, thanks to this hilarious video clip showing Edmund Blackadder being consecrated Archbishop of Canterbury.
When you've stopped laughing, pray for those involved in selection and the person who agrees to take on this arduous role.