Dentophobia

What is it about visiting the dentist that is so hard? I can think of a few reasons - but you probably can provide those yourself.

Fear of dentists is common. It would be an exaggeration to say I have full-blown dentophobia. I do see the dentist regularly and for the last few years have been blessed with a dentist in whom I have confidence. I would even go so far as to say I like him. Sadly he is leaving the practice so my recent appointment was the last time he will look in my mouth.


I will remember that last appointment for the comment he made while trying to explore a hard to reach area. He told me (kindly) that my bottom lip has an exceptionally strong defence reflex. Apparently everyone's lips have a defence reflex, but most are not as strong as mine. Mmmm.. add that to the collection, which includes the dentist from my childhood who told my mother and me  that I had 'abnormal tongue behaviour' which he considered to be 'incurable beyond the age of 12'. I was 12 at the time. I hated that dentist and I never did understand what he meant. Was I using my tongue in a futile attempt to prevent him working?

What will my new dentist have to say? What will she/he be like?
Will I be able to face him/her without fear? I will discover next January.

In 5 years of blogging, this is only my 3rd post about dentists. You can hardly call that an obsession. In case you are interested, or share my fear, here are the others:


Are you afraid of the dentist

Dentist Phobia


I'm grateful that I still have all my own teeth, apart from wisdom teeth which had to be removed, a process that didn't help my fear.
My apologies to all professional dentists who do a good job.

What about you? Do you have similar fear? Have you any positive tips?

Image Credit for cartoon face: Pixaby, Public domain, CCO License
Image Credit for dentist figure: Flickr, CC License

Comments