Mechanic? You've got to be joking!

Based on instant analysis of this blog's content, an automated system thinks the author is a 'mechanic' type or 'ISTP' in Myers-Briggs terms. This is probably not true. Ask my husband or children!


I have  Prodigal Kiwi (see below) to thank for today's time-wasting activity. It's been around a long time now, but the Myers-Briggs system to identify 16 basic personality types has been found a useful tool by many organisations. It's based on Jungian psychology. Years ago I undertook the tests a few times in association with my former occupation in social work and also in ordination training for the Church of England. It doesn't matter how I answered the questions - the result was consistently the same. My Myers-Briggs personality 'type' is INFJ, which fits, but perhaps not completely. The Myers-Briggs Foundation summary of the INFJ type is:
"Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision."

Thanks to Prodigal Kiwi I was prompted to discover how typealyser might analyse the personality type of the author of  Seeker's blog. So, I entered my blog address. Would I emerge as INFJ yet again? The analysis came up in about 5 seconds! Now, would you trust that?  No, nor would I. According to typealyser this blog is written by an ISTP type, one of 'The Mechanics'. Here is typealyser's description of such types:


ISTP - The Mechanics
The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment and are highly skilled at seeing and fixing what needs to be fixed. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.
The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters


The line drawing is the one used by typealyser with their ISTP description. I'm still wondering what to make of this rapid judgement. After all, I avoid high-risk adventure, was a timid and cautious skier and have never wanted to drive a racing car in my life. Working as a fire-fighter is definitely not for me and 'policemen' is for the other gender. I've never wanted to be a policewoman either.


I wonder - could blog writing be a way for people to express their 'shadow' side? Or is this all just a load of ****? What do you think?



Comments