Search Me

I used to ski, with varying degrees of enjoyment and fear. I still think of Psalm 139 as the skiers' psalm. No, it doesn't mention ski-ing, but the second verse in the King James Version is a prayer that fits amateur skiers so well.
"Thou knowest my down-sitting and mine uprising..."
This photo by kelsey is called 'Transparent Heart'. It imaginatively illustrates the psalm's opening verse,
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me." (NIV).
The whole psalm is a contemplative prayer in awe of God's greatness. It wrestles with the idea that God really knows me and is intimately involved with my life. There's nowhere to hide from God's Spirit and presence. The Psalm ends with a words that take courage to pray. They ask God to uncover what I might hide from, to turn a spotlight on anything that may be wrong and lead me in God's way. A good prayer for Lent I think:

"Seach me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting."
Psalm 139: 24 (NIV)


This post is the 3rd of a series of daily Lent reflections, based on Bible  readings from the Common worship Lectionary of the Church of England. This one is based on the alternative Psalm for Morning Prayer, Psalm 139 

Comments