Shrove Tuesday

Today is usually known as 'Pancake Day' in the UK. So why the lemons? Well, a British pancake, cooked, tossed or raced on Shrove Tuesday isn't complete unless served with fresh lemon juice and sugar.


Today is the last day before Lent begins. In some places, like France, today is known as 'Mardi Gras' (Fat Tuesday) - a day to use up any rich foods still in the larder before a more austere diet or fast in Lent. Several places in England hold a pancake race. The most famous and probably the original is at Olney in Buckinghamshire where a race has been run (off and on) since 1445. Read about it here. Any adult woman who has lived in Olney at least 3 months is eligible to take part, providing they provide a pancake in a frying pan to toss as they go and wear the required gear. I'll be cooking pancakes this evening, but I won't be running with them, just sharing them.


In 'Rosenmontag' I said I was weighing up possibilities about how to observe Lent. The choices I've thought about include to give up, to give away, to take up, to take in, to start and to stop. I'm not going to tell you what (or if) I'm giving up or giving away. I will tell you I'm taking up a challenge to post a brief reflection on this blog every day from tomorrow until Easter Sunday. These will each be based on one of the daily readings from the Common Worship Lectionary of the Church of England. Hopefully this will help me to 'take in' what I need to prepare for Easter. On days when I'm short of time or inspiration, I may just post a selected verse or a short prayer. I will welcome your comments as I walk or stumble through the season.

Comments

  1. Last year I posted a daily reflection for Lent, along with prayers. It was a great discipline for me! I look forward to reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. It will be a discipline. My pride will probably keep me at it, now that I've announced my intention. The real discipline for me will be to content myself with posting basic bread when I'd really like to provide a banquet! But the banquet is God's concern, not mine. I've just finished tomorrow's post, scheduled to publish at 6.30 am GMT. Now I'm off to cook pancakes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment