Sun, sea and poverty

I've just driven back through cold thick mist from an early morning medical appointment for my husband. It made me long to see the sun and have a bit of warmth again.


Some people in the UK seek sun and warmth on their holidays - the Caribbean being a popular destination for those who can afford to travel that far to escape the British winter. Consequently many people associate countries like Jamaica with sun, sea and beach rather than a place where, as well as wealth, there are areas of deep need, such as in the slum areas of Kingston.


Christian Aid partner S-corner has been engaged in community work in Bennetland, Kingston, Jamaica for the last 18 years. This is an inner-city area known for poverty and gun crime. S-Corner is named after the shape of the cross-roads where its clinic and community centre are located. One example of its work is providing elderly residents like Frederick with a hot meal


The Count Your Blessings Lent calendar informs me today that £1.45 will pay for one person to benefit from a community health outreach session that S-Corner runs. Christian Aid suggests you give 20p for every time you have accessed free healthcare this year. Well, for myself I think that has been 3 times, so 60p. Now perhaps I should get my husband to count his - it will be a lot.


Comments