A Prayer

Sometimes when I officiate at a funeral I get back more than I think I have given. Today was one of those occasions. The reason is a prayer that I found both comforting and challenging. It was copied into her notebook by an old woman some time before she died. It was read by one of the family at her funeral today.


I do not know who composed this prayer. Please tell me if you know the original source or context. Better still - try praying it.
Free me 
from all fear of the future, 
from all anxiety about tomorrow, 
from all bitterness towards anyone, 
from all cowardice in the face of danger, 
from all laziness in the face of work, 
from all failure before opportunity, 
from all weakness, when Your power is at hand. 
Fill me 
with love that knows no barrier, 
with sympathy that reaches to all, 
with courage that cannot be shaken, 
with faith strong enough for the darkness, 
with strength sufficient for my tasks, 
with loyalty to your kingdom's goals, 
with wisdom to meet life's complexities, 
with power to lift my eyes up to You!

Comments

  1. It is on the website of
    http://olotliny.wordpress.com/american-creed/
    as “My Morning Offering”
    from the official Marine Corps Field Devotional Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison for giving this link. I found that too, but without an author cited.

      Delete

Post a Comment