On being bread

While waiting for an exercise class to begin yesterday, I got talking with someone who said she had given up bread for Lent. This is because she especially enjoys bread and hopes that not eating it for a few weeks will help her lose weight. I like bread too, but I'm not giving it up for Lent.

Today's prayer/poem at #BigRead14 is called 'Bread'. You can listen to Amy Boucher Pye reading it, or look at the words, or preferably do both. I think poetry needs to be heard as well as silently read. I tried reading it aloud, allowing my gut responses to colour the interpretation. This resulted in a long pause after the first three lines:
"Abba Jesus, 
you ask me to follow. 
Let me follow you as bread."

I think I'd expected the prayer to be about receiving or giving bread. The idea of being bread came as a bit of a shock. "No Jesus, I don't want to follow you as bread" was my initial spontaneous response. Then I avoided thinking about that further by retreating into humour, imagining myself as a round cottage loaf running on tiny spindly legs and looking ridiculous as I failed to keep up with with a retreating figure climbing a rocky uphill path. 

As my time for writing is running out now, I think there will need to be an update or a part 2 of this later. Against my perfectionist tendency I'll publish this as unfinished and unpolished now. In the meantime do you have any thoughts about what it might mean to "be bread"?


Comments