#Ancestor

Today's #AdventWord is #ancestor. That word reminded me of the search for ancestral roots that I have been engaged on for the last few years.

This photo is a gravestone in old St Mungo's Churchyard in Penicuik, Midlothian, Scotland, where many of my Scottish ancestors were buried.

Amateur genealogical research has become a popular hobby, in recent years. I have found it fascinating. It has helped me to understand more about my own family and the places and events that shaped my forbears' lives. As I have perused handwritten Christian baptism, marriage and burial records I've become more grateful for the heritage of Christian faith that has been passed down to me through many generations, including my grandparents and parents. By the grace of God, that faith has become real to me. Thanks be to God.

I haven't much time today, but later I may update this post with a reflection about Abraham, seen as the faith ancestor of Jewish, Muslim and Christian people. 

Image Credit: Photo my own

Comments