#Journey

During Advent, I am using #AdventWord2018 to stimulate reflection on Advent themes and share this with others on social media.

On this 1st day of Advent today's word is #Journey.

Journey is a word often used as a metaphor for life. Journey is also used to describe the dynamic nature of the Christian life, a life to be lived on the move with Christ.

A Christian's #journey is one that has to start again each new day. It starts from the place where we are now, as the person we are now.

Sometimes the route of the journey is unclear. Sometimes we take wrong turnings and need to retrace our steps to find the way.

The destination of the Christian journey is life in all its fullness, the eternal life that Jesus promised and Jesus is both the Way and the Companion on the journey.

John Birch has written a number of prayers exploring the Christian's daily walk with Christ.

Here is one of his that I find helpful when the journey seems hard:

"In my journeying with you,
may I never lose my sense of direction,
never lose sight of the landmark
towards which I travel.
And should cloud or rain obscure my vision,
may I draw closer to you,
so that my feet may tread
in your footsteps,
your words be my encouragement,
and your love my protection
against the storms that assail me."

© John Birch, 2016

#Journey was also the #AdventWord for one of the days of Advent in 2017. You can see my 2017 reflection on journey here.


Image Credit: Pixabay, CCO License

Comments