Advent Word: Learn

In this time of Advent preparation for the celebration of Christmas and the coming of Christ, what is it that I need to learn on this 16th day of Advent? Or maybe there is something I need to re-learn? As the day unfolds, maybe an answer to that question will come.

I wonder what the child in this image is learning as she walks with her father? Or perhaps he is learning from her? Could she learn from him how to recognise the right path to lead them home before dark? Could he learn from her how to take life more slowly, how to stop and notice the little things on the way? 

In the global Advent Calendar I am following, the Advent word for today is 'learn'. Perhaps the most important lesson for any of us to learn, and keep on learning, is wisdom. For the most part, we humans are rather foolish creatures, who find it hard to learn wisdom or even to know where to look for it.

In many places in the Bible, its various writers speak of true wisdom as to be found in God. The letter of James includes these words:
"If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you." James 1: 5
To learn God's wisdom starts by asking for it. You could ask by using this prayer from Psalm 25:
"Make me to know your ways, O Lord, 
teach me your paths. 
Lead me in your truth, and teach me, 
for you are the God of my salvation; 
for you I wait all the day long." Psalm 25: 4 - 5

Comments