Maundy Thursday Reflection

In these days of lockdown due to the coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic, we are discovering who the people are on whom are lives depend. Many of the keyworkers at this time are those least valued by society in monetary terms. I'm thinking of people like careworkers, hospital cleaners, refuse collectors, the lowest paid in food production and distribution etc. You can make your own list.

When Jesus' disciples had an argument about which one of them was the greatest, Jesus placed a little child by his side as a symbol of someone less valued than those who boasted of their importance, but who should be welcomed in Jesus' name. He told them that "the least among all of you is the greatest" (Luke 9: 46 - 48 NRSV).

Today is Maundy Thursday. It is the day when Christians remember the last meal that Jesus shared with his friends. John's Gospel tells us that during supper Jesus got up from the table, took off his outer garment, tied a towel around himself and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel. (John 13: 1 - 28 NRSV)

Foot washing was a regularly ritual on returning home or on welcoming a guest. It was usually done by the lowest slave, the youngest woman or by a young child. Yes, they were the key workers, but the least valued. But at that last supper Jesus washed his disciples feet. Judas was included, though he was about to betray Jesus. Peter was included, though at first he refused to allow Jesus to wash his feet and a few hours later he denied knowing Jesus.

Today, I wonder how would I feel if Jesus knelt before me to wash my feet? What would that mean for me? Would I protest like Peter? Or relax and welcome the cooling, cleaning water? Do I allow Jesus to serve me through others?

Today, I remember the mandate (commandment) Jesus gave after he washed the disciples' feet:
"...if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. (John 13: 14 - 15)"
Am I learning to share Jesus' attitude, to imitate his loving humble service, performed down in the dirt, smelly feet and all?

Image Credit: John August Swanson

Comments

  1. Thank you, Nancy. This was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I'm glad you appreciated this post.

      Delete

Post a Comment