Palm Sunday 2020



On Palm Sunday 2020, when I look at this picture of Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, I see it as someone in lockdown in reponse to the Covid-19 pandemic. I see it as someone who is feeling the anxiety of this present time. I see it as someone feeling both fear and hope for the future.

I have previously gazed at images of this fresco, although never seen the original. It is in Assisi and was completed in 1320 by Pietro Lorenzetti. In the past, when I have pondered this image, I've noticed:

  •  the person spreading a cloak under the hooves of the ass and her colt.
  • I've noticed people pulling down tree branches. 
  • I've noticed Jesus' quiet, humble but authoritative dignity.
  • I've noticed the anxious look on the faces of some of Jesus' following disciple.
  • And then there are the people crowding into the gateway in the city wall. Some of them seem to be asking, 'who is this?'

I still see all of that and more, but my first thought on seeing this image today, at the beginning of Holy Week 2020 is this:

  • Those people preparing the way or simply watching are crowding far too close together. Don't they know that could be dangerous?
  • Don't they know it would be safer to stay at home?
  • Do they know the danger Jesus is in? If some of them do, why are they taking that risk?
  • Why don't those people keep their distance from Jesus?
  • Why don't they practice 'social isolation' from each other?
  • Can't they see what's coming?
And then I think of that word 'hosanna' that the gospel writers tell us the crowd around Jesus shouted. And I remember that word does not mean 'hurray'. It means 'save us'.

I leave you with 2 challenges dear readers:
  • In relation to Jesus, how do you answer the question, 'who is this?'
  • If your prayer, or the cry of your heart is 'save us' (hosanna) are there other words you want to add to that prayer?
(For previous posts for Palm Sunday see my Holy Week Page and click on the links under Palm Sunday.)


Comments