Silence: a place to encounter God

My last post 'Hearing the Call to Freedom' was a story of how a young bird recognized a familiar call. It got me thinking again about hearing God's call, that can so easily be suppressed by the many voices competing for our attention.

In a post I wrote some years ago, I wondered whether today's always-connected digital age prevents or helps people to hear from God? During the lockddown due to the current coronavirus pandemic, I sometimes feel more distracted than ever before by the images, sounds and words coming to me through my PC or smartphone. Do all those messages, tweets, shared  music, news feeds and visual media add to a constant noise that stops me hearing God’s word? Do all those online services, zoom meetings, however good or well intentioned, amplify or mute that still small voice of God. A whisper of a word that I would hear if only I would stop for silence?

I've found myself remembering the story about Elijah in I Kings 19 and how he encountered God in silence when he was at his lowest ebb. The great prophet Elijah was exhausted and terrified of the wicked Queen Jezebel. Afraid for his life, discouraged and full of self-pity, Elijah ran away to hide. ‘It’s hopeless – it’s not fair – it’s all been a waste of time!’

I love the way God helps Elijah in his depression and self-pity, firstly by providing practical needs: sleep, food and time to recover. All those were given him. Elijah also desperately needed spiritual encouragement. Is God real? Is God with me? Or have I been wasting my time trying to do what I think God wants? God asked,
“What are you doing here, Elijah”?
Elijah told God how dreadful he felt. He’d worked his socks off for God, but now,
“I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it away.”
God’s response was to tell him to go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, because
“the Lord is about to pass by”.
Before Elijah could move the storm began.
“Now there was a great wind, 
so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, 
but the Lord was not in the wind;
and after the wind an earthquake, 
but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 
and after the earthquake a fire, 
but the Lord was not in the fire; 
and after the fire a sound of sheer silence.” 
1 Kings 19: 11 – 12 NRSV
In the terrifying wind, earthquake and fire, God seemed absent.

When all the noise was over, then came 
“the sound of sheer silence” (NRSV) – and God’s presence became recognisable. Only then did Elijah go out to stand in the entrance of the cave where he hid. Only then did he hear God speak, giving him a new task, hope and reassurance.

God can change hearts through silence.

It is a paradox that God may be silent and yet speaking. ‘The Value of Silence’, an article on the TaizÄ— Community website has these words:
“When God’s word becomes “a sound of sheer silence”, it is more efficient then ever to change our hearts. The heavy storm on Mount Sinai was splitting rocks, but God’s silent word is able to break open human hearts of stone. For Elijah himself the sudden silence was probably more fearsome than the storm and thunder. The loud and mighty manifestations of God were somehow familiar to him. God’s silence is disconcerting, so very different from all Elijah knew before. 
Silence makes us ready for a new meeting with God. In silence, God’s word can reach the hidden corners of our hearts. In silence, it proves to be “sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit” (Hebrews 4:12). In silence, we stop hiding before God, and the light of Christ can reach and heal and transform even what we are ashamed of."
 Silence can be scary because it is like a mirror compelling us to go deep within ourselves and creates the important space to encounter God.

If silence can prepare us for a new encounter with God, what are the best ways to build silence into a regular routine? What do you think? What helps you?



Comments