Kindness through dogs

Can dogs be kind? In my Lent series on the theme of kindness, I thought of entitling this post, 'Kindness of Dogs'. I decided that might be an anthropomorphic step too far. My experience of dogs is that they seem to be kinder than cats. If you are a cat lover you may disagree. I think that in a sense dogs can be kind. There are so many examples of loyal dogs doing good things for their owners, being faithful companions.

I called this post 'Kindness through dogs' because people can find kindness through dogs, even if that was not the dogs altruistic intention.

Going back to my childhood, when I felt miserable there was always comfort to be found in stroking the family dog. Like most dogs our mongrel was sensitive to human moods or sickness. When our children were growing up, our pet labrador was there for any of us not feeling our best.

Kindness can be spread through posting images of dogs on social media. During lockdown I have enjoyed seeing photos and videos of the dogs of relatives and friends. One therapy dog owner Kerry Irving, who was helped in recovering from a serious car crash and depression by Max, a springer spaniel, has gone on to help thousands of others. Kerry Irving has done this by posting videos on social media of walks with Max in the Lake District. These have gone viral and have been experienced as therapeutic kindness by many. Today the BBC reported that Max is now the first pet to receive an Order of Merit from the animal charity PDSA.

When you can't go out because of lockdown, you might enjoy going on a virtual walk in Cumbria with Max and 2 other spaniels Paddy and Harry. Max has his own Facebook page, Max Out in the Lake District where you can see videos of beautiful walks that may lift your mood and come as a kindness to you today.

I thank God for the dogs I have known and for the kindness I have experienced because of them.

Image Credit: Mylene2401 on Pixabay



Comments